Thursday, October 20, 2011

Aetheric Neuralizer VIII - Thoughts On Ergonomics

What Ho!

When one looks at the Neuralizer (Aetheric Neuralizer V) one instinctively wants to cradle it in one's upturned palms, tucking the rear assembly into the waist and adopting a sideways stance, but this was not the envisaged method of wielding the device and won't be practical once the handwheels are installed.

I had thought I would use a two-grip approach, similar to a Thompson Submachine Gun, but trials have shown the geometry of the device in firing position doesn't suggest or lend itself to that. This is a shame because I was planning on installing two triggers, one in each grip, to simplify the process of firing - one trigger would activate the barrel light effect, the other the sound.

Getting rid of the forward grip means that the controls must be reconfigured, and I've settled on a double trigger in the rear pistol-grip, set side-by-side with the sound actuating trigger set a little further back than the light actuating one. In this way my index finger can actuate both effects as originally envisaged from the one grip.

This brings up a second vexing issue, namely the need to run two power lines from the rear assembly to the front instead of the one I had planned for. This in turn means using finer gauge wire than I had planned.

Which is moot anyway because the power connecting cord I've settled on has only 20 gauge wire inside it, so unless I run two lengths between the battery box and the Neuralizer and double up the conductor (not desirable), this will burst into flames before any internal wiring melts its insulation off or explodes when it shorts on some metal part or other.

So that's all right then.

It just remains to be decided whether I will attempt to machine the pistol-grip as two halves that sandwich the components, or simply machine the grip core from Maple and clad it with screw-on sides as manufacturers of conventional sidearms do.

And I must also decide how I'm going to attach the grip securely to the Neuralizer. I have a couple of ideas, but none are persuasively convincing. It will be a disaster if the pistol-grip snaps off at the debut.

Toodle pip!

No comments: