Sunday, March 16, 2014

Progress, Of Sorts

I received in the post on Thursday a replacement sequencer board for the EL Wire, and on Saturday night I retired to the lab to test it.

 I used my new variable heat soldering iron to close the "solder switch", in reality a pair of closely spaced tracks on the circuit board that you bridge with solder in order to bypass the part of the circuit that steps down the 12 volts of the supply (provided by the Moran Aethero-Galvanic Exciter) to around three volts for the inverter that powers the wire. I was using a 12 volt inverter and so didn't need this feature.

I plugged in the EL Wires I had made, attached the inverter and applied power and was treated to a display of flashing EL Wire in different colors, as expected.

Emboldened by this, I closed the solder switch on the original board (which I had closed with a temporary conductive clamp before) and connected it up and lo and behold, it was working too! My awful repair to the damaged board was holding!

So when I can find time I can move forward with the project to upgrade the Neuralizer's barrel pyrotechnics *and* the backpack of my spacesuit.

No comments: